Monday, March 11, 2013

How do I insert pages of a PDF file into a Word document?

Q. I'm doing a lesson plan for something and had to photocopy papers and have them be scanned and put on my flash drive. When I uploaded them to my computer, they were in a PDF file (Adobe). How can I put these pages into the document exactly how they look? I tried copy and paste, but that doesn't work because of the page margins.

A. To produce a highres 300dpi version of a pdf page, I would recommend importing the pdf file into Photoshop or Illustrator and save each page as a jpg or bmp - however, those cost (lots of) money. A free solution would be to install ghostscript and irfanview, open the properties/settings in irfanview, and change the postscript options to 300 dpi. When you view a pdf file in Irfanview, the file will be rasterized to a 300 dpi bitmap file! Next, save the file in a Word compatible format, such as jpg.

ghostscript:
http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/index.ht...

irfanview:
http://www.irfanview.com/

Steps:
1 - install ghostscript
2 - install irfanview
3 - download the plugins for irfanview and install those: http://irfanview.tuwien.ac.at/plugins/ir...
4 - start irfanview
5 - choose OPTIONS-->PROPERTIES/SETTINGS in the menu
6 - click POSTSCRIPT OPTIONS
7 - set the required paper size, and change the resolution to 300 dpi
8 - open the pdf file.
8a - optional: drag a selection around part you would like to crop, and hit <ctrl><y>
9 - save the high-res image file as a jpg or bmp. (bmp retains sharpness of cad drawings much better)
10 - repeat for each page and import in word.

This method works like a charm and does not require you to buy any software. What's more, you decide on the resolution.

Do be aware, though, that they will not be editable in Word, since they were converted to images when you photocopied/scanned them. It is possible to extract the text and layout and convert those to Word again, but you will need either ReadIris or Omnipage - both of which cost money. A free option to get at least the text extracted may already be installed on your computer (if you have Office installed, that is):
http://itaz.com/techguide/how-to-copy-text-from-images-and-scanned-documents

Good luck.

Where can i find free tutorials for autocad, specifically using it to draw architectural plans?
Q. A pdf document would be preferred rather than video tutorials, both would be better! Should i just start with the tutorials on autodesk? or can i skip straight to the architectural stuff?
i am new to autocad but have a bit of experience using maya
by the way i am a mac user!

A. I have researched some websites for you to learn autocad for free and also the pdf file which tells about architectural drawings.

http://www.we-r-here.com/cad/tutorials/level_3/3-1.htm
www.cgarchitect.com/upclose/VI/Week23/VI_Week23.pdf

What are some hobbies or activites that you can use a computer for?
Q. EX. Wrestling Coach:
You can...
1.Prepare Documents
2.Maintain Records
3.E-mail (contact other coaches)
4. Recruting (update websites for college coaches)

Don't say video games, IM, Email etc becuase those are the wrong answers. Also don't say graphic design because that is not a hobby.

A. Model Railroading... I use my computer for:

1) Research: Looking for images of locomotives, rail-cars, bridges, buildings, etc. I also use Google Earth to help with how to lay-out certain features like "yards".

2) Design: there are a number of software programs that let you "plan" your layout (model railroad) on the computer. You can make your errors and mistakes on the computer... much less expensive that finding that error when you've actually laid track !!

3) Construction: I used Auto-Cad programs and Adobe Photo-shop to convert photos of buildings, bridges, and accessories into PLANS that I can then scale and use to construct all the hundreds of buildings on my layout.

4) Operations: I have a DCC (Digital Cab Control) system that I have connected to my computer.. it allows me to plan routes, set switches, and "dispatch" my trains. It also controls all the signals and lights on my layout... I run a "fast-clock" that makes time move 3 times as fast as normal, and the "Sun" rises and sets in the room and the building and street lights turn off and on from computer generated commands.

I ALSO use the computer to "organize" my railroad... from generating "train orders" and and calculating loads... to printing out directions to my friends who come to "work" as train and yard engineers.

I would say that Graphic Design IS a hobby as long as you're not doing it for a CAREER or for pay !!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment