Monday, February 25, 2013

What do I need to set up a laptop to display on a second monitor?

Q. I work with CAD software programs and need two work areas: one displayed on my laptop, and the other on a separate monitor.

I am running an HP Pavilion dv6000 laptop and the monitor is an HP flat screen.

What do I need to make this work?

A. get a vga cable and hook up from laptop to monitor
if it has dvi in and out then dvi same with hdmi but easiest way is vga
1 go to start
2 go to control panel
3 new view appearence and settings then display
3 or old style go to display
4 go to settings
5 click on number 2 blue screen
6 click enable
7 click apply

then just drag one of your workings to the monitor

gl and if you restart the laptop with cable out it will revert back to normal settings

What would be a suitable college laptop for engineering?
Q. I'm planning on entering college in one year. I'd like to major in either Electrical,Mechanical, or Aerospace Engineering. I've heard that computer programs like CAD are part of the classes. What would be a good laptop to handle this easily, and perhaps some computer games(COD4) as well. Money is not much of an issue, as I am saving my money, and it's going to be my Birthday,Christmas, and graduation present. And please give me your rationale behind your answer.
Thanks

A. I bought a dell vostro 1500 a year ago with an intel core 2 duo 2.4 GHz proc, 2 GB of RAM, and an 8600 MGT video card (these are the aspects you will want to pay attention to).
For CAD you should mostly be concerned with RAM. 2 GB is enough, but 4GB would be better, and noticeably better. The vid card I listed is good enough to play TF2 and COD WaW

If I were you I'd plan to spend 1k and get something with 4GB of RAM and a decent video card and processor. You should also make sure to get a high res display (1680x1050 in my case). This is really helpful to increase your workspace with CAD, rhino and other similar software.

After answering your question, I would give some advice which is this may not be important. Universities have labs with good machines you can use, and you will probably want to be using them anyways. They will be better or as good as whatever you get, and most of your classmates will be there to hang out with / ask questions of. In your freshmen and senior years you will probably find yourself in these labs all the time.

What to look for when buying my first laptop computer?
Q. I'm going to be getting my first laptop computer soon. I'm in my senior year of high school, about to go to college. I would like some suggestions on different computers based on my needs. In needs to be able to run CAD programs as well as the basic word, excel, and publisher. It should have portability as I will be carrying it around. I also would prefer if it has Windows 8, a decent battery life, and can show color well. What are some good brands and what are other details I should look into before I buy one. I would also appreciate any options that are on the lower end of the price range.

A. Toshiba Shopping Assistance: 800-316-0920 or http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/home.to?utm_expid=1188295-3

Dell http://www.dell.com

15 inch display, Intel i3 good, i5 very good, i7 best processor, 4 to 8 GB ram memory, 500 GB or up hard drive, CD/DVD optical drive, Memory card reader, blue tooth if needed and what ever else you might want installed. Purchase MS Office new boxed install so you have the CD to reinstall it if ever needed,




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment