Thursday, January 31, 2013

What is the word to describe a device that does the configuration of a system?

Q. I thought something like configurator or configurer might be right, but on browsing through dictionary.com. m-w.com and cambridge dictionary, I found that they didn't exist :(
I'm actually doing a software design, and using the right terminology would be nice.. so any help would be appreciated.

A. A systems analysis positioner. You have a system you need to analyze to position it properly for maximum configuration and efficiency.

Good Ol' Mom sez: Operating System.

What process is used to replicate a hard drive to a new computer?
Q. When might you use this process, and what are some examples of software designed to perfrom it?

A. You'd want to use a "bit for bit" copy where you not only copy the files, but the structure of the system and its parts as well.

My dad does a lot of hard drive swapping in his computers and has had great success with Altiris Drive Image

Looks like Symantec bought them up. Symantec Ghost is another solid product for drive imaging. I used it with Windows 95 and 98.

http://www.symantec.com/smb/products/overview.jsp?pcid=cli_mgmt&pvid=ghost

Good luck!

What is the most recommended PDA for a nurse?
Q. I am a nurse planning to purchase a PDA to aid me in my profession. I would like it to be compatible with various softwares designed to aid nurses at work (drug guide, nursing diagnoses, etc..). I also would like it to work efficiently and be hassle-free, since most nurses really hate to be wasting time resetting it over and over. And lastly, I hope it has a generous memory to put mp3 files for me to listen to during breaks. I have been wrecking my head browsing over the internet for advice, but I think a nurse or someone in the medical profession can give me the best advice. thanks in advance!
... oh, and it has to be the latest model available, if that's possible... :)

A. My father is a doctor and I have some expertise in this area (see my blog at http://mlearning.edublogs.org). You should look for a PDA that does not have a slideout keyboard, and a minimum number of hard-key buttons. Minimising moving parts like this reduces the number of crevices that can potentially become contaminated with infectious substances, if you're using the device in the course of your work, and also simplifies cleaning of the device.

I'd recommend a Windows Mobile device, since Palm is rumoured to be currently undergoing corporate transition and software for its OS may be discontinued if PalmOS is not supported in future. Also, most of the medical PDA software out there is supported by the Windows Mobile operating system.

With those considerations, I would normally have recommended a Dell Axim x51v . The Dell x50v and x51v PDAs have the best screen (480x640px gorgeousness!) and processor speed (624 MHz) I've yet experienced in a PDA. While they don't have a massive amount of internal memory, they accept both SD and CompactFlash cards, and that means you could for example, add a 4GB CF card for your medical applications and records, as well as a 4GB SD card for your music - that would be 8GB in total, plus the 128MB on-board storage - a massive amount of memory for a PDA. I believe there are even larger memory cards in both formats available, if you're willing to put up the dollars. :)

The only reason I might not fully endorse the x51v is that Dell won't be making any more PDAs after the x51v; however, it will continue to support its existing models.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment