Friday, December 14, 2012

Will majoring in Drafting and CAD lead to a possible career in Architecture?

Q. I am currently majoring in Drafting and I would like to eventually be an architect is this the right start and what do most architecture companies look for in an architect?

A. Of course. Just make sure you apply and get your masters in Architecture.

rustedwood.blogspot.com

Is getting an Engineering degree useless for CAD career?
Q. I will be obtaining a degree in civil engineering soon, and realized that everywhere I have co-oped at, I use Autocad alot, and the firms realize I am good at it (I have 7+ yrs of experience, 23yrs old) and that is all they ever have me do! I figure I may as well persue an autocad-related career, but is my engineering degree going to be overkill, and not compensated for?
no doubt I am going to complete the degree, i have 4 classes to take! Just wanted to get an idea of what you guys thought. Thanks for the input, and you are right, engineering can take you in many different directions.

A. Well, first off you should still get paid as an engineer regardless (instead of say a drafter or someone who might just enter others drawings).

I wouldn't worry about it though. First off, most places do not give co-ops technical work (true analysis or design work) and often use them as just data entry like you have been doing. Once you graduate you should still end up using CAD a lot, but your work should gravitate more and more to you doing your own designs and then drawing them up instead of just entering other people's designs. A good engineering firm will realize your talent and be more apt to give you raises/promotion because you are good at your job.

what are your thoughts on Auto CAD as a career choice?
Q. Can I get a job in the Auto CAD field with a 2 year associates degree?
How hard and competitive is the field?
Including Mechanical, Architectural and Auto CAD in general

A. Nah, AutoCAD is a thing of the past. There are new softwares that are coming out that don't really rely that much on a person knowing how to operate the software as heavily as AutoCAD, so they're gaining a lot of ground on AutoCAD. Try something else.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment